12 months, 365 days – who knew they could fly by so quickly!
We’ve had an amazing first full year back up and in operation and all thanks to White Pointers – our guests and staff!
Blessed with a stunning new Nova Scotia inspired and crafted Main Lodge, refreshed accommodations and Mother Natures backdrop, we have enjoyed a fantastic 2013. While every wedding, family stay and event was unique and memorable in their own way, we flipped back through the calendar to reflect on a few highlights for us – maybe you’ll find one of yours on our list, or add your own below!
Top 10 Memories/Events of 2013
1. Our White Point Piping Plover Family
Our beach, with the support and cooperation of guests and help from Bird Studies Canada we welcomed a pair of plovers, and fledged four babies this year!
2. Stitching White Pointer’s Together, Quilt Unveiling
After 14 months in development and more than 350 pairs of helping hands, Quilt and Fabric Artist Bev Crouse joined us in January to unveil our beautiful quilt inspired and created by White Pointers.
3. 2013 Summer Season Kick-off! In June, we welcomed CTV’s News at 5 and the Nova Scotia Tourism Agency as they broadcasted live from our Front Lawn to kick off Summer 2013. Thanks to Mom Nature, we had beautiful sun-filled skies and pounding ocean surf as the backdrop – joined by our guests on site for the Ancient Mi’Kmaw Culture Re-emerges gathering.
4. Ancient Mi”Kmaw Culture Re-Emerges June 21/22 was a highlight for so many of us! Working in partnership with Acadia First Nation, we welcomed and hosted one of the most moving and meaningful experiences as we celebrated and showcased the rich, authentic and dynamic culture of our Mi’Kmaw heritage. From the presentations documenting 10,000 years of presence to the Sunset Intertribal Gathering, to the Summer Solstice Sunrise Ceremony (yes, well attended at 6am!), and of course the food and craft was amazing.
Building on this, we look forward to collaborating with our friends at Acadia First Nation to continue expanding our relationship, and invite you to look forward to our Harvest Moon Gathering in 2014.
5. Refreshed and revitalized!
Over the course of the past 12 months, we completed the refresh of Ocean Lodge, Lakeside Hall, opened our 2 Main Lodge Guest Rooms, Cottage #55 became a 1 bedroom paradise and are in the final stages of a refresh of Lakeside King and Guestrooms.
6. July 4th Celebrations Re-introduced!
In honour of our American guests – those now living in Nova Scotia and beyond, we hosted and will continue to host a festive, fireworks filled July 4th. This of course is in addition to our Annual Canada Day July 1st Festivities!
7. March Break 2013 Broke records!
This past March Break, we had a record breaking number of kids EVER here at White Point on one day! While our week-long Nova Scotia March Break has always been popular but on Thursday during the break, we had more than 170 kids here at the beach!
8. Thank You! White Pointers overwhelmingly help us to support our local organizations!
We host a variety of events On the Rocks in February supported the Liverpool Fire Department, the 50/60′s Dance in October in support of the Astor Theatre, tickets being sold on the beautiful Old Lodge Hooked Rug in support of the Queens Skatepark - raising more than $10,000 for these organizations. Thank you for being a part of our community!
9. Anniversary Weekend & Artists of White Point Showcase
Surrounded by so many friends and family, we enjoyed a marvellous Nov. 11/12 Anniversary Weekend. While the whole weekend was memorable, it was the Showcase on Sunday Nov. 12 that exceeded all of our expectations! Created to celebrate the dozens of Nova Scotian, and many local South Shore, artists who enable make our Main Lodge, Guestrooms and Gift Shop such a showcase of Nova Scotia. We wanted guests and our community to be able to meet and speak with these amazing artists … and they did in volumes. In less than 7 hours, more than 500 people met up with and took home works from 2 dozen artists. Make Plans to join us when we do it again, Sunday November 16, 2014.
10. And rounding out our Top 10 in no particular order, we leave the final favourite and most memorable to our General Manager, Joanne Veinotte:
“For me 2013 was filled with so many highlights. Meeting with and hearing the stories of White Pointers new and returning was and will continue to be a treasured gift. Recalling memories of the old lodge and generations of family visits grounded us while feedback on our new Nova Scotia inspired and crafted lodge, welcomed. But, the most delightful, and rewarding experience came from one particular young guest. He’d been able to gain some freedom from his family and really enjoy his visit … because we now have an elevator that he could use to get from floor to floor, by himself. His smile will stay with me forever.”
Have one we missed? Add it below in the comment section!
See you in 2014!